Fuseboard & MCB consumer unit replacement (17th Edition 3rd Amendment)
All new consumer units installed after 1st January 2016 will need to meet the 17th edition BS7671 3rd Amendment regulations. R.A.Barley electrical services offer consumer unit replacement in Worcester. Before we can start work, a visual inspection of your electrical installation will need to be carried out. It is very important that the earthing (from consumer unit to the main earth terminal) and bonding (earth wire from the consumer unit to the pipework near the stop taps) in your property are updated to meet the current relations before work can start. The visual inspection will take about thirty minutes to complete and will also include a written quotation outlining the work required before the consumer unit can be replaced.
• 1st January 2015: BS7671:2008+3rd Amendment was published. (Installations designed after this date may comply and be certified to these new standards or be designed and certified to BS7671:2008+2nd Amendment (for a maximum transitional period of 6 months)
• 1st July 2015: BS7671:2008+2nd Amendment (Installations designed after this date must comply fully with BS7671:2008+3rd Amendment)
• 1st January 2016: Regulation 421.1.201 comes into full effect (Plastic consumer units will be replaced with metal consumer units)
Crabtree and MK consumer units
Choosing the right consumer unit manufacturer for each installation is very important. We use Crabtree, Mk or Wylex consumer units because they have been established for many years and replacement breakers and RCD units are available at the majority of electrical wholesalers. We also offer a FREE three year warranty covering all parts and labour.
How long will it take to replace ?
Most consumer unit replacements will take one day. If additional earthing and main bonding are required to connect the gas and water to the main earthing terminal then allow two days. The electricity supply will need to be isolated first. It is advised your electricity supplier is contacted first as the main fuse will need to be removed.
Consumer unit replacement Worcester only ? Will you travel to Droitwich, Pershore or Malvern ?
Yes we will travel throughout Worcestershire for consumer unit replacements. For call out services for small repairs we are only travelling as far as Worcester and the surrounding villages at the moment. Please complete the contact form with your home address and size of property and we can give you an estimate by email. If you would like a fixed quote we will need access to your property to check the main earthing and bonding available.
How much will it cost to replace a consumer unit in a three bedroom detached house ?
Estimate for a three bedroom detached house
- Crabtree metal consumer unit including one main switch, ten MCB breakers and two RCD units
- Install and supply Part P certificate / Electrical Installation Certificate
- FREE visual inspection of the electrical installation
- All materials and labour required to complete the work
- Three year – Parts and labour warranty
£500 (subject to site visit and survey)
- Upgrade existing earthing and main bonding conductors
£100 (subject to site visit and survey)
Why are plastic consumer units being replaced with metal consumer units ?
The statistics are showing that fires that start in Plastic consumer units spread quickly. A metal consumer will help contain the fire for longer and hopefully it will not spread. Fires start in consumer units because of poor connections carried out by unqualified electricians. All connections need to be tight and a torque screwdriver is recommended.
Book an appointment